Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A few more thoughts

I apologize for the abrupt ending yesterday, but my 20 minutes of internet time ran out. A few thoughts I didn't discuss:

The boulevard of broken backsides: Part of the trip from Siem Riep, Cambodia (Angkor Wat) to Bangkok included a 3.5 hour journey to the Cambodia border, where a total of 8 minutes was spent on paved roads. No joke we bounced around for 3.25 hours swerving between lanes that did not exist avoiding cattle, chickens, etc. We got out of the car with our brains scrambled and shaky bones. Rumor has it that the airlines pay the Cambodia government to keep the roads in such bad condition to increase air traffic...if only we had more money

The infrastructure/ability to make change/amount of time "chilling" theorem...I have developed a theory based on the countries we have visited, that the more infrastructure a country has, the greater their ability to make change. All jokes aside, it was impossible to use large bills in Vietnam and Cambodia because no one had change. Now that we have arrived in Thailand, where there is much more infrastructure, everyone can make change for us, who would have thought?? At the same time the number of locals "chilling", i.e. not working, is inversely related to the amount of infrastructure and ability to make change. This may be my big chance to make a name for myself...possibly more insights and research to come.

Joseph and I purchased custom tailored tuxedos today...quality to be determined...

Gideon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing the tuxes. Are these those tux tee-shirt things?

ST said...

Your theory starts out well but fails to make the crucial link between ability to make change/infrastructure/time to chill as all being the fruits of a better standard of living. The trick is to be able to accurately predict GDP/capita based on how large a note they can change, how deep the potholes in the road are and the chill time per capita.
There's a whole new career in these very astute observations you made. To abbreviate it you could call it the "chill/change theory of East Asian prosperity".

Can you imagine what fun it would have been getting your tuxes with the Pops supervising the operation! I hope it works out well.
The Pops.

Unknown said...

I am sure that Joey is wondering what is wrong with his usually talkative mother. I have been having trouble making this work- I know, it is the easiest thing in the world, but I have other good qualities, ok? So glad that you felt safe during the medical emergency. I hope poor Gid isn't too set back by the experience. I am sure that he took it in stride and stayed calm. Regarding the telephone charge, I would guess $56.26. I love trinkets of any kind! Also, do not hold me responsible for the comments about your blog made by certain other members of my household and ascribed in part to me. I am hanging on every word you write! Be safe and come home with tales that you CAN tell us, ok? Love, MamaMG