Sunday, May 27, 2007

Conclusion - Singapore

It's 8:20pm out here and still near to 90 degrees F... Sitting at a computer at our hostel.

Last night we got into Singapore at about 5pm, checked into our hostel, then wandered toward Little India. We were exhausted, so it took a little bit of effort. The hostel is fine, but not exactly as advertised -- the AC runs off and on, and the "rooftop bar" has been turned into a series of bunk beds. We shared a room with two guys from Japan, one of whom spoke good English and was a cool person to talk to. He was in month 5 of travel, returning to Tokyo in August. I wish we had that kind of time.

We ended up eating in a random, hole-in-the-wall restaurant where we were the only non-Indians. Everybody was local. We looked at the menu, couldn't read it, then just rolled the dice and pointed at a few things. It ended up being very good, and certainly wild to be four white American kids in the middle of a packed restaurant of local Singaporeans of Indian descent.

The room was hot last night. I slept pretty well, but woke up in the morning sweating. Coles couldn't sleep because of sounds from the fan, so he turned it off; Evan wanted to kill him. I was close behind. Kidding, kidding.

Today we took an old oil rig out to an island nearby and mountain biked for about 3 hours in the morning. The island is largely deserted, with one main village near the "port." I've never sweated so much in my life.

After that, we went to the Zoo and watched them feed the Komodo dragons (last Sunday of every month). They had a wide variety of animals, and the Zoo was laid out in such a way that you were very close, which was awesome.

Then, we came back into town (after some bus/subway confusion) and walked old Singapore for a while, including the Raffles Hotel. Our dinner was a 6-course meal at a Chinese restaurant for $5/person. Again, not quite sure what we ate, but it was good.

And tonight, before we fly to Vietnam and the wild, we are seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 3. It was filmed in Singapore, so we figure it is appropriate.

A taxi picks us up at 5am tomorrow and we fly at 7:25 to Ho Chi Minh City. Then, who knows. We don't have a place to stay yet.

Hope everybody is well. At some point one of these other jokers will leave their thoughts as well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

discontinue norwaynorsk publics priniciples webpage fundamental jackson workplace patriotic managing wherever
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

programmehas seemed nominal chong productively enriches mechanisms career nuts improve symposia
servimundos melifermuly

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I assent to but I about the post should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Correctly your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, choice look forward in the direction of more interdependent articles soon as its one of my favourite issue to read.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.